Fort Marcy Officer's Residence
(Edgar Lee Hewett House)
116 Lincoln Avenue
Fort Marcy Officer's Residence, more recently known as the Hewett House, is one of two buildings remaining from the Fort Marcy Military Reservation created in 1868. The residence is one of six houses constructed in the early 1870s, back to back, on Lincoln and Grant Avenues for officers' use. The A.M. Bergere House; on Grant Avenue is the only other of the six houses to survive. Both buildings were extensively altered after 1916 to bring their appearance into conformity with the prevailing Spanish Pueblo Revival style.
Though built of adobe, the six Fort Marcy officers' residences were designed in a modified form of the army's standard "Plan C." All were two-story, L-shaped buildings with cross-gable, metal roofs. The exterior walls were adobe-plastered, but the corners were scored to simulate dressed stone quoins. A porch supported by six squared posts ran across the entire front of each house.
On October 19, 1900, six years after the army abandoned the reservation, the secretary of the interior granted permission to John R. McFie, associate justice of the New Mexico territorial supreme court, to occupy the officer's residence a t 116 Lincoln Avenue. Judge McFie and his family remained in the house until January 5, 1904, when the Fort Marcy Abandoned Military Reservation was conveyed to the city of Santa Fe, and subsequently to the Santa Fe board of education.
The officer's residence changed hands several times during the next twelve years until it was purchased for attorney Frank Springer in March 1916. Elected to the territorial councils of 1880-81 and 1901-02, Springer also served as a member of the board of regents of the Museum of New Mexico and was president of the managing board of the School of American Research (founded in Santa Fe in 1907 as the School of American Archaeology). In 1916, at his own expense, Springer had the Fort Marcy Officer's Residence modified into the prevailing Spanish Pueblo Revival style to serve as a residence for Dr. Edgar Lee Hewett, director of both the School of American Research and the Museum of New Mexico. Both Springer and Hewett were prime movers in the Revival movement, which sought to retain, restore, and recreate Santa Fe's distinctive historic architecture. On September 20, 1917, Springer gave the building to the School for which it served as headquarters from 1959 until 1972, when the New Mexico State Legislature passed an appropriation from the general fund to purchase the building for use by the Museum of New Mexico.