Cross of the Martyrs
Top of hill on Paseo de la Loma
(Accessible by stairs from Paseo de la Loma)

Overlooking Santa Fe, this reinforced concrete cross stands 25 feet tall and weighs 76 tons. It commemorates the death of 21 Franciscan friars and numerous Spanish colonists during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680. It was dedicated during Santa Fe Fiesta of 1920 and was the site of candlelight processions for many years. In 1925 the fiesta procession attracted about 3000 people, and bonfires on the hillside illuminated the cross.

The Near North Neighborhood Association donated the Cross to HSFF in 1993. It is not to be confused with a later cross erected near the ruins of Fort Marcy.

Cross of the Martyrs dedication ceremony Santa Fe Fiesta September 15, 1920
Courtesy Museum of New Mexico, Neg No. 52464


The Old Cross of the Martyrs was featured in the letter "A" of this 1940s postcard

close window