Arias de Quiros Site
East Palace Avenue
Diego Arias de Quiros, a native of Asturias, Spain, received this land from General de Vargas as a reward for his services in the reconquest of New Mexico in 1693. Arias was a member of the Cofradía de la Conquistadora and of the military Cofradía de San Miguel in Santa Fe. The land adjoined the eastern torreón of the Palace of the Governors, ran east to the cienega, including the location of the present Coronado Building, and north to Nusbaum Street. It was sufficiently large to plant 2 ½ fancgas of wheat. Arias de Quiros died in 1738 and the property, which included a two-room house with a zaguán, was sold by his widow in 1746 to Manuel Sánz de Garvizu, lieutenant of the Santa Fe presidio, for 300 pesos of silver marked by the mint of Mexico City. The original house on the property probably vanished long ago, and the land has been subdivided and built over, but one of the structures may date back to the eighteenth century.
In 1879 L. Bradford Prince, newly appointed territorial supreme court justice for New Mexico, purchased the western portion from Carmen Benavides de Roubidoux of Costilla County, Colorado. The house was described as "consisting of seven rooms and according to the old description, sixty-one vigas." Carmen was the widow of Antoine Roubidoux, famous French-Canadian trader and interpreter for General Kearny in 1846. Roubidoux first came to Santa Fe about 1823, became a naturalized citizen in 1829, and the next year was elected to the Ayuntamiento, town council. As he married Carmen Benavides in 1828, their occupancy of the house may have begun at that time. They no longer made New Mexico their home after the middle 1830s, and the residents of the house until the purchase by Prince are unknown.
The 109 East Palace structure, sometimes known as the Trujillo Plaza, will be remembered historically as the first office (1943) of the Manhattan Project.
The eastern section (111-119 East Palace) was the inheritance of Manuel G. Sena from his parents, Juan Estevan Sena and María del Rosario Alaríd. Manuel Sena and his wife, Concepción Garcia, lost the land to the Spiegelberg family through foreclosure in 1878, and after a series of owners, this property was also conveyed to Mr. and Mrs. L. Bradford Prince in 1886.
After his term as chief justice, Prince was governor of New Mexico, 1889-93, president of the Historical Society of New Mexico, chancellor of the New Mexico Missionary District of the Episcopal Church for forty years, and author of several historical works.
During the Princes' residence, this house was the scene of many celebrated social events.
The 115 East Palace building was used as an AWVS Service club for enlisted men during the Second World War. Today, the series of buildings contains a restaurant, offices, and shops but preserves many architectural details of the Spanish, Mexican Republican, and U.S. Territorial periods.