Francisca Hinojos House
355 East Palace Avenue
Designed and constructed by itinerant French artisans who were brought here from Louisiana by Bishop Lamy to build St. Francis Cathedral, this late nineteenth-century residence is of special interest because of its unusual architectural detail. Although it is built of adobe, its exterior design and roof are more typical of Louisiana's architecture during French occupation than of Santa Fe's.
The trim of the interior doors, windows, and Territorial fireplaces is also of interest, for it typifies the period when craftsmen excelled in imitating such grained woods as mahogany, oak, and bird's-eye maple, in this case on woodwork of native pine. The retaining wall in front of the house is of stone left over from the building of St. Francis Cathedral and is similar in architectural treatment.
The land on which the house was built was part of a property that once included Martinez Street, the site of the present hotel La Posada, and East Palace Avenue itself, which before 1870 extended only to the eastern end of Sena Plaza. Beyond that were open fields and a path leading along the irrigation ditch known as Acequia de la Loma.
The property was acquired at intervals between 1856 and 1872 by Doña Francisca Hinojos, daughter of Blas Hinojos, who was Commandante Principal of New Mexico when he was killed during the 1835 Navajo campaign. In 1887 she bequeathed it to her son, Don Alfredo Hinojos, a prominent political figure, who was organist at ST. FRANCIS CATHEDRAL for almost fifty years.
The small rear building with a hutch roof was formerly the kitchen for the main house.