620 Paseo de la Cuma (private residence)
This striking landmark is one of the best surviving examples of Victorian architecture in New Mexico. The adobe house southeast of the mansion was constructed sometime prior to 1877, and the mansion was built in 1882 by Walter V. Bayt, who had come to New Mexico Territory from New York about 1879. A prominent Santa Fe merchant, Bayt operated a store on San Francisco Street in cooperation with a partner and was later a dealer in books, stationery, toys, and notions.
The mansion is constructed of hand-moulded fired brick probably made where an acequia crossed the property to the south. This house and the Hesch House are the only two historic residences in Santa Fe with mansard roofs.
In 1888 Hayt sold the house to Christina E Wientge, wife of Frederick W. Wientge, a jeweler from New Jersey. One of Wientge's best-known works is a small table of silver filigree inlaid with turquoise and other native stones, which he designed for the 1893 Columbia Exposition in Chicago. Wientge built a small adobe just north of the mansion for use as a jewelry shop.
A brick room was added to the northeast corner of the house in 1899. In the 1920s the front porch was extended along the west side, the stone terracing was constructed in front, and Wientge' s former jewelry shop was incorporated into the main building.
The mansion was occupied by members of the family until the death of Wientge' s daughter, Eve, in 1972. After use for a time as a children's day care school, the house was purchased by Michael and Susan Weber, whose work on the restoration has been carefully documented.
A memorable sight has been the Christmas Eve display of more than 800 farolitos on the house and entire hillside.