Willi Spiegelberg House
237 East Palace Avenue
The Spiegelberg House commemorates an influential Jewish mercantile family. The first Spiegelberg to settle in Santa Fe, Solomon Jacob, arrived with the U.S. army that occupied New Mexico in 1846. During the next fifteen years, his five brothers, Levi, Elias, Emanuel, Lehman, and Willi, also migrated to New Mexico. The Spiegelberg brothers operated a store on the south side of the Plaza and were involved in mining ventures, land speculation, construction enterprises, insurance, and banking. In addition, they served as sutlers and mail route contractors for several New Mexico military posts and Indian agencies.
The Spiegelberg House was built in 1880 by European artisans who had come to New Mexico because of the extensive building program of Archbishop Jean Baptiste Lamy. (The same craftsmen may also have built the Francesca Hinojos House at 355 East Palace Avenue, which is architecturally similar.) The house is adobe, but the woodwork is typically Territorial. Although most of the fourteen rooms have shallow, coal-burning fireplaces, the house was the first in Santa Fe to be equipped with gas pipes.
The second owners of the house were Dr. and Mrs. John Symington, who occupied it in 1888. Dr. Symington practiced medicine across the street at St.Vincent Sanatorium, operated by the Sisters of Charity. The house was sold in 1900 to another prominent merchant, Solomon Spitz. In 1963 the house was purchased by the present owners, who have restored it substantially to its original appearance.
The Spiegelberg House is listed on the State Register of Cultural Properties and on the National Register of Historic Places.