327 East de Vargas Street (private residence)
This large adobe house east of the Barrio de Analco has had a long history. It appears on the Urrutia map of 1766-68 as a sizable, hacienda-like building, and also on the Gilmer map of 1846. Who the earliest owners were is unknown, but in the early 1800s, the house and outlying lands constituted the rancho of Salvador Martín, who conveyed the property to Antonio de Jesús Ortiz, son of the famous, wealthy landowner, Antonio José Ortiz. ln his will of 1837, Antonio de Jesus bequeathed the property to his daughter Ana Maria, wife of Juan José Romero. She sold it to the Very Reverend Peter Eguillon, vicar general to Bishop Lamy, in 1863, and four years later the church conveyed it lo Morris Bloomfield and Colonel Herbert M. Enos of the quartermaster corps.
Bloomfield sold his interest to telegraph operator Joseph Gough and his wife in 1874. Enos and the new owners divided the property along the line of a hall that ran through the house. Shortly thereafter, Enos left New Mexico after providing that his half, on the east, be held in trust for his two minor and illegitimate daughters. The trustee was James L. Johnson, then owner of El Zaguán. In 1881 the Goughs sold the west portion to Arthur Boyle, son-in-law of and New Mexico representative for English land speculator William Blackmore. The property was again joined in 1889 when the Enos daughters conveyed the east section to Blanche Blackmore Boyle. The Boyles added a northern tier of rooms to what remained of the original structure. Massive adobe walls, in some places more than four feet thick, and ceilings of rajas, or split wood, overlaid with straw and earth, are evidence that the house was built at an early date. Territorial details include typical squared-off ceiling beams, a long rear portal, a manteled fireplace, and a bay window at the back of the house.